• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Chronic, Recurring UTIs/Kidney Infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
Since moving to a desert climate about 2 years ago, I've noticed my tendency to have severe, rapidly progressing UTIs has increased. I rarely went to the doctor as a child/young adult, but am fairly certain I've had these infections on and off most of my life, only having treated them once or twice with antibiotics, which I know is very dangerous. I think I've just gotten so used to the burning pee, pelvic pain, fatigue, and lower back pain that I didn't recognize it for what it was for many years.

Anyway, in the past 6 months I've been to the doc 5 times with the same symptoms--extreme fatigue, appetite loss, back stiffness/pain, and burning pee--each time I was tested and had an infection. He gives me the same meds (Cipro, Levaquin) each time and the same advice each time.

My question is, do any of you suffer from recurrent/hard to treat UTIs or kidney infections? What have you done to treat them, and do you still experience symptoms after treatment?

My main complaint is chronic fatigue, which I've researched for years and couldn't find the cause until recently noticing a dramatic improvement in energy/stamina after a course of strong antibiotics for UTI. When the burning urination returned, so did the fatigue.

Here's some of the things I've tried/am currently doing to keep it under control:

Drinking from 1/2 to 1 gallon of steam distilled water daily.
Avoiding caffeine
Taking cranberry supplements
Drinking tea made with marshmallow root, uva ursi, dandelion leaves, and other herbs said to be beneficial for treating UTI.
Washing thoroughly daily/after sex
Avoiding scented bath soaps/personal products
Not holding my urine
Avoiding food allergens

I've researched this so thoroughly that I don't think there's a remedy out there I haven't tried. I do have a 750 mg. Levaquin on hand for the next time it gets too severe, which has been effective in the past at wiping the infection out completely. (My doc gives me extras because he knows it will just keep coming back and I can't afford to see him.) Luckily, the antibiotics are free and are some of the strongest around, but a dr.'s visit is $60.

Any tips on preventing/treating this problem in the future?

I get these constantly too.

I also have the additional problem however that most antibiotics for it give me a residual infection later on.

Cranberry juice usually does wonders for me, as well as drinking lots of water.

Are you just going to a general practitioner? Perhaps you should try a urologist?

Yeah, and a really ghetto gp at that. I have no insurance and he sees me for $60 and charges nothing for the antibiotics, so I consider myself lucky to have found him at all. I'd like to see a urologist someday when my money is right. Do yours usually progress to a full-on kidney infection, or just bladder/UTI?

I get semi frequent UTI's... its been a problem for me since I was about 5 years old, believe it or not :(

I think if your prone to them your prone.... I keep AZO UTI meds on hand at all times and drink lots of water and take cranberry suplements. I also find that swimming in the ocean and chlorine make them more frequent (sadly because I love swimming!)

I am so sorry that you suffer from these, but I am glad that Im not the only one.

Oh yea, smoking pot ALWAYS helps me relax and helps with the pain too.

Status
Not open for further replies.